Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Post Natale

Well, here we are again. I feel like I just wrote you an e-mail five seconds ago, so there's not too much new going on believe it or not. I'm so baffled by that tape!* and slightly enraged that it wasn't perfect. When we relistened to parts of it to make sure it was working it sounded so normal. Blerg. Well, at least you were entertained.

The most exciting news of the day is that we have no roommates! Our three roommates peaced out for California and Salt Lake City this morn. They were nice but Sorella Bunker and I were both kind of ready for them to be gone. Their second to last night here I was being all studious at our desk and they came in and proceeded to spend the next hour at least gossiping about boys, but not just boys, Elders, and I was like barf. I will barf all over all of your faces right now. No, I would rather barf all over myself than hear this conversation. Not only are you talking about teeny babies, but you're missionaries, remember how that's our job right now? Your uterus will have to wait a few more years.

Well, I said that all in my head at least. But our room is clean and organized and beautiful. We have an end room so it's actually a little bigger than most. So today I decided to take full advantage of the many vacant hooks and empty beds, at least for a week. Sorella Bunker and I have the bunk set closest to the door, I'm on the bottom. I decided to create a super bed for myself. So I slid off my matress, plopped down one of the abandonded mattresses, and repositioned mine on top. It's really quite a cozy dream. I look forward to at least 7 nights with super bed.

Other kind of funny thing, we do service early Monday mornings, by early I mean 6:00 AM. Sorella Bunker and I have usurped the stocking and trash job in the basement of our bulding, which includes a few trips to the trash compactor. But let me tell you, it would be the perfect start to a Bones episode. Two missionary ladies strolling in the dark over to the trash compactor: they turn the key and open the door, and PLOP! a detatched bloody arm falls from the raised compactor. Girls scream, blood squirts, and Bones and Booth come save the day.

Still no snow here, which is a bit sad. I'm hoping for a white Martin Luther King Day, which is maybe a bit ironic.

Yesterday I did my first real SYL day. I was going to do Italian from when I woke up until I went to sleep, but I ended up speaking in English that night in our district meeting discussing the devotional. Sorella Bunker would translate for me when we had to talk to non-Italian peeps. It was kind of great. I'm working on slowing down when I talk so I can try and use all the grammer I know correctly, and I'm trying new ways to learn my vocabulary which continues to be the hardest thing for me to master. Teaching keeps getting better and better. We actually did an activity with one of our sub teachers this week where he played an investigator-type dude and the eight of us were supposed to try and teach him, trying to let everyone get turns to speak. After the activity we had a pause and all the Anziani were out wandering the halls and Sorella Bunker and I were talking about how we wanted to say more but we didn't want to dominate the lesson, and the teacher turned to us and said, "Now that you're the only ones here I can tell you, you two really did an excellent job. Considering you had only a short amount of time to learn about the investigator, establish his needs and develop a relationship. you did quite well, the things you taught and the scriptures you used were very good." So we felt pretty great because we hardly ever get constructive comments, let alone compliments.

I'm still eating up the Book of Mormon. Today I was asking for a pen from Sorella Bunker because I was at the part "where Moroni starts kicking ass," that's what I told her at least. One thing Elder Bednar talked about in passing that I loved was developing the habit of searching for answers in the Book of Mormon, by reading it cover to cover with a question in mind. Don't just do a word search online, but read it, take a cheap paperback copy and mark it up with that one question you have. By the end of your life you'll have a book shelf of Books of Mormon that's a chronological account of all the questions you've had in your life. I kind of love that image. And the shelves below it will be the journals I've filled up. I just think that'd be so cool. I'm getting excited to start the book of mormon again now that I'm remembering the story and the teachings together so much better. It's great to be teaching of having a discussion and be able to think "Oh wait, what I was just reading this morning would be perfect for right now."

We're off to an early lunch because we're helping clean the Provo Temple, since it's still closed this week, we're kind of excited. Sorella Bunker loved the mittens, thanks Mom, and I still love everything you sent and that I always know what time it is!

Ian, I am a little jealous of the Justin Bieber singing toothbrush, there would have been a throw-down if I had been at the party.

Love you all like whoa, sorry this is maybe a bit boring, I will repent and return and report with lots of great and wise and funny things next week. BTW, in four weeks I'll be in Italy? What? When did that happen?

xoxoxoxoxoxo

Sorella Bush

*Due to a technical difficulty, her voice tape sounded like she was a chipmunk sucking helium.

No comments:

Post a Comment