Thursday, December 15, 2011

Lettera settimanale 15 Dicembre

Why hello!

So it's Wednesday again, not sure how that's possible. Friday it will be a month that I've been here. Whoa whoa whoa.

It's been a pretty great week. Monday we had our first day where we could only speak in Italian. It was slightly exhausting but it's kind of amazing how much we can already say to each other. I've decided I love praying in Italian, somehow my thoughts are the most clear, plus it's just so pretty.

As far as churchy missionary shiz goes, yesterday was a great day. Things have been going really well with our investigator "Pietro." After a rocky start that included me gesturing about floods and whatnot, he committed to be baptized at the end of the month. Our teachers play the roles of simpatizanti that they had on their missions, and it can be super tough, but gives us a good idea of what to expect in Italy.

Last night we had a bomb fireside with Sister Dalton, the General Y[oung] W[omen's] President. I have to admit I was a little worried that her voice would sing song me away into boredom, but she was incredible. My favorite part I think was when she talked about the Christmas story and the example of Mary; how the angel came and told her some crazy shiz, but she had faith and merely asked, "How is this to be done?" Because through God nothing shall be impossible.

She talked about how God's plan was so much better than the plan Mary could have made for herself, and I was reminded of the many times in the past few years that God has made it so clear to me that He has a plan for me and it will be far better than anything I could hope to pull together on my own. She said that God moves us from where we are to where we need to be in order to make us into the people we can become. Just like they say in Lion King, you are more than you have become. How great is it that our existence is all about progression.

There was a funny moment this week when the Anziani figured out just how old I really am. I'm older than most of the teachers by a year of two but we have one guy (Fratello Bullock) who subs every now and then and always says the most wise things. I asked him what year he graduated from Scuola Superiore and he said "2006." I said anch'io and the anzianini were like Che?! You're the same age?! Then all their brains exploded.

We got a great little package from Sorella Bunker's family this morning with a little Christmas tree and some matching stockings that have B's on them. I pulled out my CDs and we illegally listened to the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack whilst decorating. It was lovely

Speaking of packages, thank you for my little bundle of joy. I've been wearing my Monkey Fur fleece constantly. Other surprises of the week included a case of Diet Coke from Kristin and a bag of Honey Crisp apples from Grandma Sandi. I am living the dream!

Hope you guys are having fun in Chicago. I've been thinking about the fun Christmas times we've had down in Chicago as this is bound to be such a different Christmas for me, but I've heard there are to be some great peeps coming to speak to us. Also, thanks, Dad, for the Wendell Berry poem, I loved it so bad. It did make my soul long for the Northwoods a bit, but in a month and ten days I'll be on a plane to Milano.

Which reminds me, today is Natalie's birthday but I didn't plan ahead enough to send her anything to Michigan. I'm going to send you guys a card that you could maybe drop off at her parent's house? I was realizing as I was falling asleep last night that ten years ago we were celebrating her birthday in the Wisconsin Dells. Whoa.

Anyway, the food here made my soul weep a few times this week, but I've found refuge in the gluten free cupcakes they keep on hand for people with real dietary troubles, not pretend ones.

I'm not too sure what I should really be telling you while I'm still in the MTC because really, everyday is like:

1. Sit here are a few hours to learn Italian.
2. Read your scriptures.
3. Prepare a lesson and teach it.
4. Sit in class some more and learn more Italian.
5. Eat food you might normally find in a dumpster.
6. Run around a hampster wheel.

I'm realizing that that description makes it sounds like the worst summer camp evs, but I really do love it here. I love how much I learn everyday, about God, the gospel, the Italian language and myself. I can't imagine my life without this time that I'm dedicating to the Lord, it makes me sad to think of all that I would have missed. Thank goodness nostro Padre Celeste knows me well enough to make sure I came at the right time.

The older Italian district of four Elders left for Italy this week. I am so glad I have this time to prepare to be in Italy, but everyday it gets a little more real that this is my life. I'm going to be in freaky Italy. I'm going to be teaching people, with the power of God, about the plan they accepted before they even came to earth, and reminding them of all that they can do and be with the help of Christ, his Gospel and Atonement.

I'm searching my brain for all the funny things that happened this week, but the days are so long and the weeks so short, that I can't even remember. I did try and identify the flowers and grasses in a movie we were watching today, and was happy to see my brain is really still the same. Most of the Portuguese Elders from our branch are gone now. One had me write my info and a note in this journal thing and I wrote stuff about things that will change your life, and wrote a little about how elephant teeth grow and the bat skeletal structure and crocodile stomachs and that sort of thing. You know, things that can really change somebody's life!

The temple this morning was lovely. It's closed for the nest two weeks and it was so nice to remember how freaking awesome those blessings are, and we don't even have much we have to do in return. God is so good to us. I also sat next to a really fabulous 80 year-pld lady named Dorothy who talked my ear off after I said, "Hi, how are you today?" Turns out not only has she had a crazy life, but Jon Gunther is her eye doctor. She said she would say hello for me.

Well, I'm off to take my favorite shower of the week, with no one else around. Hope all is well. I love you all like whoa and love hearing from you. Drink some tea by the fire and read a book for me. I was remembering reading East of Eden last winter break, back in the good old days before I was a college graduate.

Also, seeing some of the old ladies at the temple recommitted me to having superb dental hygiene.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO,

Sorella Boooosh


Simpatizanti - sounds like sympathizers, but is really more like person who has similar interests. That is, an investigator who wants to learn more.
Fratello - Brother.
Scuola Superiore - High School
Anch'io - Me too.
CHE?! - WHAT?!
Nostro Padre Celeste - Our Heavenly Father

No comments:

Post a Comment